In this article, we will know is freelance writing a good career or not. Freelance writing a best skill to become a freelancer on Fiverr, Freelancer, Upwork and other popular freelancing platform. Freelance content writer basically take order through Freelance platform and work on small project for short time and buyer pay for single project when they done.
Freelance writer has the freedom of work they can write content from home, setting at coffee shop and even while travelling.
A freelance writer can work with various project at a time such as writing blog post for website, writing for company, journalism, marketing, Facebook page, social media and so on.
Starting a freelance writing business could be a great profession to earn staying at home and make $20,000 to $75, 000 in a single year.
Table of Contents
Is freelance writing is a good career?
Freelancing writing one of the best and respected career for those who are really love to write and make something new such as books, storytelling, script writing for movie and speech. If you have English writing skill you can get order from international freelance platform.
Freelancing career is good for several reason as they have freedom of work, own schedule, able to spend time with family, specially earning is high.
On the other hand, there are some challenges for freelancer such as irregular payment, luck of difficulty to finding a ne clients and problem solving skills.
How to start a freelance writing career
If you are highly interested to start a freelance writing career, you should follow below guides:
- Improve writing skills: You can practice writing skill watching videos from YouTube or take a writing course from English learning center.
- Build a portfolio website: Building a portfolio website can promote your skills. To build a successful portfolio you should include all of your skills, certificates, projects that you have done before.
- Select your skill area: Choose a professional skill that you have and you are more experienced in that particular field. When you selected your field of writing skill then connect with company and business owners and offer them with a average price.
- Fixed your service rate: When planning to make your service rate you should research online that how much other freelancer charge for this specific service.
- Promote yourself: To promote yourself you need to build your local network. To do so you can consider to make business card and give them who has a business or friend family. That’s how you can promote yourself and able to increase order rate.
Starting a freelance writing career may have difficulties but perseverance can make your success and build a good career path.
1. Improve your writing skills
To improve your freelancing writing skill can be more difficult because of communication problem. Before starting to learn freelance writing skill you should spend some times on grammar, spelling, and sentence making. Grammar and sentence making is a primary method to write an effective line for your clients.
On the other hand, build your network to reach potential clients. Make a business card including your skills and service and give them while meeting with friends, family or business conference.
Build a portfolio website: Building a portfolio can be a great way to promote your business. When making a portfolio website focus on quality and include your profession, team management, skills, a project that you have done recently, clients satisfaction and clients reviews. So that you upcoming client may get interested to take your services.
To create an awesome portfolio without having coding skills you can use WordPress website builder, Wix, Squarespace, and Spotify. They can provide free website builders, themes, Plugins and provide the option to customize your website with your satisfaction.
2. Choose your skill area
Take time to research on your skill area that you have the expertise it will help you to be more dedicated in your career path. First of all, think about the activities you like to do every day. What skills you have experience and research ability? When you get free time what things you are interested to do? That’s how you can choose your skill area.
However, when you select your skill now time to set your plan such as making a blog site, podcasts, Campaigns, and posts on social media to know people about your service to get more orders.
3. Finding Clients
Finding clients can be more challenging and take your time, but there are some strategies to find clients.
Firstly, you can use your local network such as Family, friends, colleagues and relatives to get your first freelance order.
You also can post on social media to create a business profiles such as Facebook page and community groups.
Creating a Facebook business page is one of the effective way to promote your business and service. Once you have created you page successfully Facebook will suggest you to promote your business through Facebook ads that can help you to reach your potential client.
4. Set your service rate
To set up services rate most important thing. When you setup your service charge you should consider your experience level, type of service you gonna provide, quality of service work.
You also can research online how much other freelancer charges for the same service and decide your charge.
5. Promote your services
The most essential part of managing a successful business is providing excellent customer service. When your client have positive experience for your service they can recommend others to take your services. That’s how you can promote service levels for free.
On the other hand, you can promote your service through social media campaigns, Google ads, Facebook ads, and Pinterest ads.
How to promote freelance services?
To promote your freelance services you can follow our below guides:
- Create a portfolio website: creating a portfolio website can be a great way to promote your skills and services in details.
- Create social media profile: Creating social media page that can promote your servers for free where you can run a paid campaign as well.
- Network with other professionals: Connecting with other professionals can be a unique way to promote yourself. For example, your service is content writing and you have a good network with graphic designers so when your network get a clients who need writing services as well then they can recommend you.
- Offer discounts: Clients who already taken your services send them special offer with minimal prices.
- Partner with other freelancers: You can partner with another freelancer that you will recommend if you get clients for another services and your partner will recommend you if he get clients related to your service. That’s how you can promote your services.
- Offer free consultation: If you have free time go on Facebook live, YouTube live and discuss about your services and ask your audience to question you and answer them their queries.
How to become a freelance writer
To become a professional freelance writer quickly, you can follow our below guides:
- Develop Writing skills: Developing writing skills can open the freelance writing door for you. Learn grammar, spellings, writing strategy and other things that require to become a professional writer.
- Build a professional website: When you have learned all the required learning skills now time to promote yourself. Make a professional website including your skills, services, experience and relevant certificates you have achieved.
- Choose your writing niche: Choosing writing niche and practice regularly can make you more expert in a specific field. For examples, you can review products professionally so you should improve this sector.
How long does it take to become a freelance writer?
Becoming a freelance writer can take 1 month or 6 months because you need to practice on grammar writing, sentence making, spelling and quality. But it’s depends on you what is your learning speed and effort. You also focus on market research, quality writing skills, building a influential portfolio.
How to become freelance writer with no experience?
To become a freelance writer with no experience isn’t possible as you need writing experience, quality work, market research. But you can become a writer in a short time. To do so make a blog to publish own content, build professional portfolio and promote on social media.
On the other hand, building network also important to become freelancer in short time. You should connect with another professionals to get a quick order.
Is freelance writing worth it?
Freelance writing is definitely worth it if you have expert skills, a professional portfolio, a good network, and collaboration with other freelancers.
Building a good network and connection with people can be a best marketing strategy to promote freelance services that may lead multiple order in a single hour.
It is hard to be a freelance writer?
No, becoming a freelance writer is not so hard if you have good skills in writing and language. To start freelance writing the main factor is having a good language skills and expertise in grammar writing.
Also, you need strong research skill, connection with clients and goal set for career path.
Is freelance writing legit?
Yes, Freelance writing is 100% legit way to make money online setting at home. There are several opportunity to earn money online and one of them is freelance writing.
Basically, freelance writing is a professional skill that has a good career option. However, becoming a successful freelance writer need hard work and patience.
What is it like to be a freelance writer?
Starting freelance writing career is a challenging job but you will get freedom in careers and quality future when you become more popular. As I mentioned begging of my content that a freelance writer can earn $20,000 to 70,000 per year.
To make money doing freelance writing job you need to be organized in your projects with expert experience.